Thursday, February 22, 2007

You Know It’s Time To Join Lavalife When…

Have you heard of this SIMS video game? It simulates the day-to-day life of virtual characters that you programme into your community. You get to make decisions about when they eat, sleep, read, exercise and brush their teeth. You also have to take time to have fun - there is a fun level bar that goes up and down on the game screen.

So here’s the thing. A little over a year ago, two of the girls in my class asked me who I had a crush on. At the time, I was smitten with a boy called Ben, so named him. Unbeknownst to me, they had inputted him as my boyfriend into their SIMS world. Well, yesterday they announced that in the SIMS world, I had just had a baby with Ben (to whom I had been married for a year). I asked them what my job was and they told me that I didn’t have to work because Ben paid for everything. I just read and did fun things like go on vacations.

How bad has it gotten when your virtual self is doing better in life than your actual self?

No comments: