Saturday, February 17, 2007

Compare and Contrast: Sinead vs Britney

After checking herself into rehab and then checking out the very next day, Britney Spears has gone and shaved her head (and got a few more tattoos it would seem). Emily Wynne-Hughes, a woman who was present for the tattooing part of the identity crisis, said Britney was “tired of having things plugged into [her hair] and she didn’t want anybody to touch her…”

This coiffure overhaul harkens back to Sinead O’Connor, another troubled songstress, who shaved her head in reaction to her record company telling her to grow her locks to appear more feminine. Could this mean a dalliance into the priesthood for Ms. Spears? Let us compare and contrast...


SINEAD O’CONNOR

Born: December 8th, 1966 in Dublin, Ireland

Children: Jake, Roisin, Shane and Yeshua, by a variety of fathers

Famous ex-boyfriend: BloodSugarSexMagik singer, Anthony Kiedis

High point: covering Prince's song, "Nothing Compares 2 U"

Publicity stunt: tore up a picture of the Pope on Saturday Night Live, sans lament

Insightful Lyrics:

How could I possibly know what I want
When I was only twenty-one?
And there's millions of people
To offer advice and say how I should be
But they're twisted
And they will never be any influence on me

- from The Emperor’s New Clothes


BRITNEY SPEARS

Born: December 2nd, 1981 in McComb, Mississippi

Children: Sean Preston and Jayden James, by a father to a variety of kids

Famous ex-boyfriend: SexyBack singer, Justin Timberlake

High point: covering (barely) her backside with a Catholic schoolgirl-inspired kilt

Publicity stunt: tore up the town on a Saturday night, sans lingerie

Insightful Lyrics:

There is no need to protect me
It’s time that I
Learned to face up to this on my own
I’ve seen so much more than you know now
So don’t tell me to shut my eyes

- from I’m Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman

No comments: