Friday, May 12, 2006

Cycling in the City

Really, this is what life is all about: mild spring mornings, bike lane stretched out before you, a line of suckers idling in their cars as you sail past. Biking to work really makes you feel good. Not only are you stepping up to the One Tonne Challenge (Oh wait, wasn't that cancelled by the Conservatives? I guess we didn't need clean air in our atmosphere, anyway - oil production is way more important), but you are increasing your heart health and putting those endorphins into action first thing in the morning. Biking is reportedly the best way to travel within 10km in an urban centre (source: Green Living, Spring/Summer 2006): it's fast, it's free, and you don't get caught in traffic gridlock.

And here's one personal reason for biking to work. There is a piece of graffiti written on the road, within the boundaries of the bike lane (on Dundas, just west of Coxwell) that I pass by each morning I ride my bike. It's hard to tell in the picture at right, but the words spray-painted on the road read: "LOVE IS THE MESSAGE". This has provided me with inspiration and melted any stress or anger every morning I pass it. Maybe it's those endorphins, kickstarting my serotonin; maybe it's the fresh spring air; maybe it's the knowledge that I am not contributing to the destruction of our earth. But that little piece of urban poetry is my psalm, my bible reading of the morning that sets me up for a good day. I repeat it like a mantra as I ride over it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is a mantra that more people should subscribe to. We need more love, as a student recently told me "there are too many haters!"