Saturday, February 16, 2008

Remember Los Alamos

I just have to share with you a couple bits of ridiculousness that I learned the other day while listening to Harvey Daniels, an American educator who was speaking at a Reading conference I attended. It builds onto my argument in Notions of the Nano, a recent post on this blog where I compared Europe's and North America's outraged reaction to a company targeting India with an affordable car. I compared it to America's desire to hold all the cards in the nuclear weapons game of Texas Hold 'Em.

Well, it ain't Texas that's holding them, it's New Mexico, where Harvey Daniels now resides.

Mr. Daniels lives close to Los Alamos, a government facility that spends - get this - $100 million per day on maintaining US nuclear weapons. Los Alamos also features the only museum in the world celebrating the atomic bomb.

No comments: