Tuesday, August 14, 2007

On Woodbine Beach, Things Left Behind

(Or, another reason I should always bring my camera with me to say these thousand words that I can only put into a few.)



Two abandoned shoes: one sandal, one running shoe lodged in the green lakeweed that collects amid the stones and pebbles at the shoreline. Further down is a scuba mask, perhaps abandoned after a day of searching for curiosities that exist below the surface.

A waterbottle, condensation on the outside, water still cold on the inside, turned into the sand. Beside it, an overturned piece of note paper, held down with pebbles on either side, obscuring the words I'm sure are there. Uncharacteristically, I ignore this piece of mysterious communication because there is a couple moving toward the assemblage: it is their found item.

Three girls sitting on the edge of the large rocks by the edge of the lake, looking down into the water, the wind flapping their long hair at the sides of their faces. I wonder if they are talking, figuring out how to be women, just a little further back on the journey than I am.

No comments: