Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Ramblings from the Rock

I've just returned from Newfoundland (the only province I hadn't been to), and from there, I bring you this street sign.

Instead of signs detailing the elaborate rules of parking (now we're in July, and it's between the 1st and 15th - does that mean I can or can't park on this side of the street?) and announcing snow routes (does this count in the summer? how about if the snow has already been cleared? no one seems to heed these signs anyway...), the Newfies post signs banning all from damaging trees.

My tone sounds mocking, but really, I couldn't agree more with the environmentalist Maritimers. How great a city is it (the photo was taken in St. John's) that these are standard issue street signs. And don't even get me started on Last Call. No one was familiar with the term when I asked, because you can drink any time of the day here!

While I'm at it, the scenery is beautiful and they paint their houses in bright colours....


view toward the village of Quidi Vidi


houses on Duckworth Street

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you kiss the cod?

SD said...

steph don't screech...