Saturday, April 15, 2006

Too Many Pillows

I have been following Jan Wong’s series on her experience living below the poverty line, in the Globe and Mail, and some of the revelations about the way people live and behave are astonishing. More on that later. First, I want to address an observation she made while cleaning a monster home in Thornhill about “21st century conspicuous consumption: 14 useless, little polyester pillows of various shapes and sizes piled on top [of a bed].”

Why do we need so many pillows?

I realize that my priorities (and disposable income) may be slightly different than the average 3-person family living in a 2000 square foot home with five bedrooms, four bathrooms etc. I do not place a high value on perfect bedroom presentation. In fact, I do not place a high value on perfect presentation anywhere in my life (anyone who’s seen me scrambling into work, late, with pillow creases on my cheek, will agree). I would much rather have my bed easily accessible when I fall into it, ready for sleep (see right: my bed as it was left this morning). I don’t want to be wasting my time removing pillows for the same reason I leave my box of cereal on my kitchen table: why add the extra step of opening a cupboard door in the morning?

I understand the need to have things in order and in their place. And I understand the need for things to look visually pleasing (I make my bed when guests come over). I also understand the need for pillow support when in bed. But 14 useless pillows?!

Unless you’re hosting a serious pillow-fight, that many pillows is completely over-the-top.

No comments: